Saturday, March 24, 2012

Donovan Johnson's top New Age piano picks

Since starting my online radio station last year (Enlightened Piano Radio), I've been introduced to some really great music.  I've also had the pleasure of getting to know some wonderful people.  Being a contemporary pianist myself, it's been a treat to be able to immerse myself in the creations of others, and to see all of the different musical paths and journeys taken in their creating.

Let me preface this blog by saying that I'm very proud of each and every one of my "Enlightened Piano Radio" artists for their accomplishments.   Being a musician is hard work.  It takes time, talent and dedication just to get things off the ground, and I applaud each of the pianists on my radio station for being a part of that effort.  That being said, here are a few artists that I've discovered over the last year who "really" inspire me.

1)  Doug Hammer
      There's a reason that Doug Hammer is so well known in the New Age piano circuit.  His music is simply magical.    When I received his latest album "Travels" in the mail, I was immediately taken with it-even before listening to it!  The album artwork "draws you in" and makes you feel as though you're about to travel with Doug to distant place, and yet there is a sense of familiarity to the music.  It's almost like returning to a place that you visited as a child; familiar without being commonplace.  Doug Hammer and "Travels" lead the way in my list of picks because of this unique yet familiar quality, and I'll be waiting eagerly for Mr. Hammer's next release.  This album has my highest recommendation for lovers of New Age/contemporary piano music.

2)  Joseph Akins
      "Spirit Touch" by Joseph Akins is at the top of my list as well, rivaling "Travels" for the #1 spot in my library.  Here is an album that will take you on a journey to the Spirit realm, force you to ask questions, and quiet your mind.  You'll be uplifted, mystified and filled with peace throughout the recording, so it’s not one to listen to simply for the sake of relaxation.  This make the recording engaging to the mind and to the senses and I listen to it often.  I’ll add here that Joseph's Christmas albums are also some of the most stirring that I’ve listened to.

3)  Laura Sullivan
      Laura just takes me away.  With a style somewhere between Chopin and Enya, Laura is able to capture the imagination and bring you to a place of calm, and serenity.  Let me add that she does this in a very rich way, by adding instruments such as the violin, string ensembles and synth pads to her compositions and arrangements.  Listening to "Feast Of Joy And Love" was, for me, like enjoying a slice of the worlds greatest 7 layer chocolate cake.  Rich, full, and beautiful, Laura is able to create a sound experience that takes the soul back to it's source of innocence, and wonder.

4)  Richard Carr
      I had the pleasure of meeting Richard and performing with him in the fall of 2011.  It was at this time that I first listened to his masterpieces "American Quixote" and "Christmas Fireside," as well as his personal favorite album "Fogland."  Let me say about Richard that he differs from other New Age pianists in that he's known for his improvisational works.  Many artists, such as myself, compose most of their work and practice it before a performance, then play an improvisation  or two at the performance itself.  Richard takes the opposite approach, improvising most of his work on the spot.  He also uses this approach in the recording process, keeping the tracks that he feels best suit the album as he records them.  His work is moody, often complex, and is a joy to listen to for lovers of piano improvisations. 

And there you have it.  A list of composers and works that have been memorable to me and countless others.  I hope you’re able to find some of this music and enjoy it as I have.  Tracks from all of these artists are currently playing on Enlightened Piano Radio, at www.enlightenedpiano.com.  You can also purchase the music on CDBaby, Itunes and Amazon!

Donovan Johnson is an internationally recognized New Age pianist and recording artist. To learn more, visit his website at www.donovanjohnson.net. Or visit his online New Age piano radio station at www.enlightenedpiano.com

No comments:

Post a Comment