Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Critical Nature Of Classical Piano

Ok, so I'm one of those "New Age" pianists.  That term certainly comes with it's share of unfair stigmas and misconceptions.  But let's talk for a minute about those who are classically trained pianists.

I was originally trained in the classical style myself.  From a very young age I learned basic pieces by Mozart, Back, Beethoven, and so on.  And I continued to study into the college level.  If I have one thing to say about classical musicians, educators and the like, it is this:  They can be some of the stuffiest, snobbiest, and frankly cruel people on the planet.  Please understand that I don't mean to say that every classical minded person fits into this one mold.  But truthfully, many do.  Sadly.

All one has to do to prove my point is this.  Pick a piece of classical music.  Any piece.  Now, type the name of that piece into the "YouTube" website.  Listen to several versions of it.  More importantly, look at the comments that are posted underneath the video by other listeners and players.  For some of these comments, I have no words at all.  And one can experience the same thing on any piano website blog, chat room, etc.  Name calling.  Condescending words.  There was even a man who, after several drinks, I could smell it on his breath, approached me after a classical concert in which I performed and proceeded to speak to me in ways that I won't go into here.  And this is common, it happens all the time.  Why?

I find it so ironic that in many of these "high brow" social halls, music showcases, workshops, soirees, chat rooms, and whatever, that people forget the simplest of facts regarding classical music.  Those facts being that not all of it was considered "high brow" in it's time.  And those who were writing it were not always held in a high social standing themselves!  Many piano composers from days past were plagued with mental instabilities, addictions, and poverty.  And I assert that a handful of them would scoff at the behavior of those who consider themselves to be so musically minded as to consider themselves "all knowledgeable" in regard to the playing or listening of a piece. 

We forget that musical theory, in all of it's splendor, was created in many cases after certain composers went out on a ledge to try something very different--only to be told by society, the board of education, etc. that what they were trying to do went "against the rules"  They and their work were then subject to ruthless  criticism.  Debussy comes to mind. 

Perhaps that's why I'm an original piano artist today.  Perhaps that's why I myself choose to write my way, regardless of whether or not it's accepted.  I still have one classical piano concert every year, but that's enough for me.  I find my true solace in doing what I do, writing what I write, and if I'm criticized for it at least I can say it's mine.  If you're a pianist who loves to create beautiful melodies, compositions and the like, I encourage you to do the same thing.  And if you'd like to learn how to play in the New Age style by a teacher who's more than understanding regarding the "The Critical Nature Of Classical Piano" technique, try some very affordable lessons by New Age pianist Edward Weiss.  He has a self created course online through his website called "Quiescence Music."  You just might find it a refreshing alternative!  Check out his website at www.quiescencemusic.com. 

Donovan Johnson is an internationally recognized New Age pianist and recording artist. His music combines folk, classical and contemporary styles to create a unique sound all it's own, and is available  through many websites and radio stations.  To learn more, visit his website at www.donovanjohnson.net. Or visit his online New Age piano radio station at www.enlightenedpiano.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment